Founded in 1890, the Trager Family Jewish Community Center is a non-profit community service agency committed to enhancing the quality of family life and promoting physical, intellectual and spiritual wellness. It provides health related activities, cultural and educational programs that serve the entire community, including populations at risk. Membership and services at the J are offered to the entire community. The J offers sports and wellness, youth and camping, Jewish culture and performing arts, early childhood and senior programs and a community center open to all.
Job Skills / Requirements
Yachad is our inclusion program that allows campers with varying needs the opportunity to fully enjoy the Camp J experience. Campers who need additional support will work with advocates to personalize the camp experience to meet the individual needs of the camper. We talk to all families who are interested in our Yachad program to be sure that Camp J is a good fit for the campers and get all the information we need to set your camper up for success. Families provide information including IEPs, 504s, behavior plans, etc.
Special Needs/Inclusion Counselor (Advocate) – High School Degree required
Advocates work both one on one and in groups with special needs campers; those campers diagnosed with physical, developmental, and intellectual disabilities. Advocates work with campers to encourage group participation, involvement, friendships, appropriate social interactions and assist with gross and fine motor activities as needed. Advocates will be supervised by the Camp Leadership Team and the Mental Health and Inclusion Coordinator.
Assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers in their camper group within activities and throughout the camp in order to meet the intended camper outcomes
- Apply basic youth development principles in working with campers through communication, relationship development, respect for diversity, involvement and empowerment of youth
- Assures campers are properly supervised at all times
- Be aware of and implement safety guidelines
Participate in the development and implementation of program activities for campers within the mission and outcomes
- Responsible for leading or assisting with the teaching of activities
- Actively participate in all program areas as assigned
- Provide for a progression of activities within the framework of individual and group interests and abilities
- Assist in program areas such as pool, nature, all camp activities, and specialty areas as directed
Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities for campers and staff
- Provide the daily care of each camper within your supervision including recognition of personal health needs
- Ensure that campers receive their medications as directed by Camp Leadership Team
- Be alert to campers and staff needs and assist them with personal and/or health problems; discuss with Camp Leadership Team when appropriate
- Be alert to equipment and facilities to ensure utilization, proper care, and maintenance is adhered to; report repairs needed promptly to Camp Leadership Team
Be a role model to campers and staff in your attitude and behavior
- Follow and uphold all safety and security rules and procedures
- Set a good example to campers and others in regard to general camp procedures and practices including sanitation, schedule, and sportsmanship
Represent the camp when interacting with parents or community members
- Provide parents appropriate feedback and information as needed for their campers to have a successful camp experience
- Follow safety and security protocols when campers are in public while presenting a positive image of the camp
- Stand for up to 45 minutes at a time
- Stand/swim in up to 4 feet of water to supervise campers
- Supervise campers in a hot environment - up to 99 degree heat index
Other Job Duties:
- Provide supervision for campers while campers are transported to and from camp during scheduled field trips off camp property
- Contribute to verbal and written evaluations and communication as requested
Other duties as assigned by Program Director, Assistant Camp Director(s), and/or Camp Director
Education Requirements (Any)
Experience working with children, grades K-5
Additional Information / Benefits
Summer availability (May 31st - August 5th), full time and part time available, Monday - Friday 8:15am-4:30pm (some availability at 8:00am and until 5:30pm). Enjoy working with children ages 5-15, incredibly patient, energetic and active!
All current Camp Specialists will recieve a complimentary membership to Trager Family JCC's new facilities including outdoor/indoor pool, fitness area, and gym.
This job reports to the David Siskin
This is a Temporary / Seasonal position 1st Shift, Summers.
Number of Openings for this position: 40