Founded in 2005 with only three middle school students, West End School has grown over the past thirteen years into a school which now serves 150 boys--105 pre-k through fifth grade day students, 36 sixth through eighth grade boarding students and 9 students who are graduates of the program and continue to live on campus while attending local high schools. The School is fully accredited by the Independent School Association of the Central States (ISACS).
West End School provides a safe and structured environment for boys in grades Pre-Kindergarten through 8th in which academic rigor, character development, and responsible action establish the foundation for a purposeful life.
To enable students, regardless of their circumstances, to achieve their highest potential.
Responsibility, respect, trust, forgiveness, and perseverance.
The Director of Development is a member of the senior management team and reports to the Head of School. This position leads strategy development and executes all fundraising plans for annual operations and capital projects and must implement and evaluate all projects pertaining to corporate and foundation grants, individual giving, public funds and special fundraising events.
The Director will also be responsible for developing marketing and communication materials that promote the values and mission of West End School and that keep donors and other friends of the school regularly informed of school updates, needs, and successes.
The Director is expected to grasp complex concepts, find solutions to problems, and make informed decisions regarding development issues. He/she will establish strong relationships with the faculty, staff, governing board, volunteers, donors, and the general community.
The responsibilities for the Director of Development will be, although not limited to, as follows:
• Create a yearly fundraising document outlining funding sources and priorities.
• Collaborates regularly with Head of School and Board members to ensure a clear and accurate interpretation of the School’s fundraising vision and direction.
• Research grant and other fundraising opportunities aligned with the school’s vision, values, goals, and priorities and produce materials in a high-quality manner.
• Establish and maintain productive relationships with local foundations, corporations, and individual donors, ensuring that WES is attracting, retaining, and motivating donors and fundraising volunteers.
• Coordinate and lead site visits of individuals, corporate and foundation leaders to the school, providing inspiring representation of WES.
• Initiate, prepare for, and participate in meetings with current and prospective funders.
• Assist Board members, leadership team, and other volunteers as necessary to identify, cultivate and solicit charitable gifts.
• Attends and helps to manage Development Committee meetings of the Board of Directors
• Ensure all gifts and visits are appropriately acknowledged and entered into the database.
• Establish fund development goals and performance measures; monitor and evaluate results.
• Produce monthly grant status reports for Board of Directors and Head of School.
• Ensure compliance with all relevant regulations and laws, maintain accountability standards to donors, and ensure compliance with code of ethical principles and standards for fundraising.
Marketing and Public Relations
• Create marketing pieces, with consistent branding and messaging, to promote school for fundraising and community outreach purposes (e.g., school profile, brochures, press releases, visitor packet, donor/volunteer interest cards, etc.).
• Coordinate media and press opportunities.
• Create template for monthly newsletter to be distributed to all friends and donors of West End School.
• Publish monthly newsletter to communicate school updates, needs, and successes.
• Collaborate with Office Manager to ensure social media reflects school needs, as well as gratitude for our volunteers and donors.
• Lead the publishing of an organizational annual report at the end of each fiscal year.
• Coordinate the mailing of an end-of-year update with student letters and holiday cards to all friends and donors of West End School.
Data Management, Reporting, and Special Events
• Maintain comprehensive prospect and donor records, including information from special events and in-kind donations, through donor database (Kindful and Classy).
• Collaborate with Head of School to manage fund accounting and budget of restricted funds.
• Track pledge payments and mailing of payment reminders to donors.
• Produce all donor reports, including any annual reports for grants and reports for receipt of public funds.
• Assist with coordinating any special events related to friendraising or fundraising.
• Provide vital input to short and long-term strategic and operational planning.
• Participate in professional development opportunities.
• Model the tone, values, and mission of West End School through all actions and decisionmaking.
Qualifications and Experience:
1. Education and Experience:
• A Bachelor’s degree (required); Master’s degree (preferred).
• At least three (3) years development experience; knowledge of education a plus.
2. Skills and Qualifications:
• An undeniable level of integrity and excellent judgment and decision-making skills.
• Outstanding organizational skills, planning, professionalism, and attention to detail.
• Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills, across a wide variety of stakeholders.
• Proven ability to self-direct and prioritize among competing goals and to initiate process improvements, using data to identify and solve problems.
• Ability to work well under pressure.
• Proven ability to manage the ambiguity and multiple priorities inherent in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment.
• Demonstrated ability to work well with others and build relationships with colleagues and external constituents, including major donors, community leaders, and members of the Board of Directors.
• Ability to motivate, excite, and educate both internal and external resources.
• Ability to inspire faculty and staff and others involved with WES to be effective resources in fundraising endeavors.
• Strong work ethic, perseverance, and willingness to go above and beyond for our students.
• Exceptional leadership and flexibility.
• Proven ability to model the values and expectations of West End School.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Google Apps, and database software.
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Short Term Disability, Pension/Retirement
This job reports to the Head of School
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Number of Openings for this position: 1