Sign On Bonus - $500 after working here for 90 days, and another $500 after 180-days!
Founded in 1919, Whip Mix manufactures Hanau™, Denar® and Whip Mix articulators, dental gypsums, investments, waxes, furnaces, mixing equipment and model trimmers for use in dental laboratories and dental offices and equipment. Whip Mix, headquartered in Louisville, Ky, is ISO9001-2008 certified and sells its products through distributors in over 80 countries and also maintains an office and distribution center in Dortmund, Germany. Please review our website at www.whipmix.com and our Facebook page! We are an EEO employer.
Job Skills / Requirements
Under general supervision, performs a wide variety of semi-skilled and skilled plumbing, electrical, electronics, HVAC, carpentry and other trade tasks in preventative maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of plant equipment, buildings, grounds and related mechanical codes and company standards. Continues to learn and perform new tasks until a working level competence is reached in all of the skilled trade areas used at Whip Mix Corporation, but may specialize in one or more areas.
Understands and support the vision of the company. Develops a sense of dependability and responsibility among team members, operate with enthusiasm and lead by example. Ensures assigned tasks are completed satisfactorily to standards that are set for the Team. Lean tools, methods and philosophy will be learned, utilized and embraced. Communication will be given and received freely, frequently, consistently, accurately and professionally. The priorities of safety 1st, quality 2nd, & production 3rd will be accepted & required. Must act, behave, perform and “BE” what is expected of team members.
Initiates, cooperates or participates fully as appropriate in using the team approach in solving problems and suggesting improvements that enables Whip Mix to live up to its mission and values.
Job Functions and Responsibilities
Production equipment – performs a variety of tasks related to trouble shooting, installation, repair and maintenance of plant equipment (powder blenders, dust collectors, automatic packaging machines, etc.) such as welding, lubrication, part replacement, electronic troubleshooting and repair, etc. (Essential)
Electrical – performs maintenance, troubleshooting and repairs for plant electrical system; does electrical work for equipment installation, building construction and repairs. Runs conduit, wiring, installs panels, breakers, motors, etc. (Essential)
Plumbing – performs maintenance troubleshooting and repairs for plant water, drain and air, etc. Installs and repairs water heaters, sinks, faucets, urinals, etc. (Essential)
Prepares air conditioning and heating for seasonal operation including cleaning, troubleshooting, ensuring proper operational order and conducting initial start up and shutdown procedures. Ensures chemical treatments and routine filter changes. (Essential)
Maintains and repairs heavy ground keeping equipment such as tractors, backhoes, bulldozers, lawnmowers and related equipment. Maintains buildings and properties. (Essential)
Fabrication – work with wood, metals plastics, etc, using basic tools, hammers, saws, drills, welders, levels, squares, and torches, etc. (Essential)
Maintains property security systems such as doors, locks, sprinkle system, etc. May be put on call for off hours. Ensures buildings and grounds are open and closed at the appropriate times. (Essential)
Ensures dust collection to all powders rooms are operating at peak efficiency and maintains all vital parts including belts, bearings, filter, guards, blowers, motors, etc. (Essential)
May develop, plan or design construction or renovation projects in the areas of electronics, plumbing, HVAC, production equipment, electrical, etc. (Supplemental)
Maintains service records. (Essential)
Work with adjusted work schedules and overtime. (Supplemental)
Performs other functions or duties as assigned. (Supplemental)
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, & Worker Characteristics
- Skills sufficient to perform MIG, arc, horizontal, vertical, flat and underneath welding on materials such as stainless steel, mild steel, cast iron and galvanized steel. Torching with acetylene, oxygen and propane.
- Plumbing skills sufficient to perform pipe threading and fitting with PVC, black iron, galvanized, copper, brass and stainless steel pipe. Familiar with plumbing applications of gas, water, drain and air compressor lines.
- Electrical skills in 110, 220, 480 and 3-phase wiring needed as well as the ability to read and comprehend wiring diagrams and blueprints. Familiarity with the application of switches, electrical motors, receptacles, lighting fixtures, relays, motor control and installation of conduit, etc.
- Knowledgeable in replacement and troubleshooting of electronics to include PLC’s and frequency drives. Understanding of electronic components and their function. Knowledge of the use of electronic troubleshooting instruments and tools, including schematics. Able to identify, research, cross-reference, and match parts. Creative skills to work with older and obsolete systems to keep them working. Required to create basic control systems for production needs.
- Sufficient skills to perform wood framing, installation of suspended ceilings, bench tops, shelving and door and window repair. Fabrication with wood, metal and plastics, etc.
- Mechanical aptitude necessary for troubleshooting and repair of production equipment and tools including automatic package machine, powder blenders, liquid dispensing equipment etc.
- Ability to troubleshoot, repair and maintain HVAC systems including operation cleaning lubricating and seasonal start up and shut down.
- Ability to match or detect differences between colors, including shades of color and brightness.
- Possess critical thinking skills by using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Working knowledge of Lean manufacturing principles and Process Improvement methodologies in a continuous improvement environment.
- Ability to read, understand and follow written and verbal directions.
- Ability to hear warning signals from forklift traffic.
- Must be
Education Requirements (Any)
HS Diploma or GED
Additional Information / Benefits
Benefits Include: Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, 401k Plan, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan
This job reports to the Maintenance - Plant Services Supervisor
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift, some weekend work.
Number of Openings for this position: 1