Whip Mix Corporation is a manufacturer of dental laboratory and dental office supplies and equipment, headquartered in Louisville KY. As a leader in the dental industry, Whip Mix is committed to leveraging its technical expertise and manufacturing excellence into practical solutions for dental professionals. Our love for the customer creates a relationship-driven business model that ensures the success of all of our global partners. Please review our webstie at www.whipmix.com and our Facebook page. We are an EEO employer.
Job Skills / Requirements
This role will support the research, development, and quality control in the Resin lab to develop new resin formula, and support existing products under the direction of the Research and Development Manager. With minimum supervision, conducts research activities, formulation, and development and testing of new products or improvement to existing products. Provides leadership and troubleshooting abilities to organization. Communicates with suppliers, and other business partners, regarding quality and other performance issues. Assists production, sales, and customer service with their technical needs. Initiates, cooperates or participates fully as appropriate in using the team approach in solving problems and suggesting improvements that enables Whip Mix to live up to its mission and values.
Should understand and support the vision of the company. This person should develop a sense of dependability and responsibility among team members, operate with enthusiasm and lead by example. They will make certain their own assigned tasks are completed satisfactorily and to standards that are set for the team. Lean tools, methods and philosophy will be learned, utilized and embraced. Communication will be given and receive freely, frequently, consistently, accurately and professionally. The priorities of safety 1st, quality 2nd and production 3rd will be accepted and required.
Job Functions and Responsibilities
1. Design, execute research for 3D printed resin, and independently conduct and lead research projects. Use project management software to create milestones, timeline and update tasks. (Essential) 30%
2. Develop new methods, and procedures for resin performance evaluation, and develop resolutions to complex or challenging issues and provide recommendations for improvements in cooperation with coworkers and supervisor. (Essential) 20%
3. Collect, analyze, interpret, experimental data using excel and other software. Present data to the team, lead discussion, and come up with creative solutions on current research projects. (Essential) 20%
4. Support improving existing products. (Essential) 5%
5. Communicates with professionals in the industry regarding current conditions and new development in the technological aspect of the field. (Essential) 5%
6. Consults with research organizations that use company products to gain feedback regarding quality and performance of those products. (Essential) 5%
7. Follow resin lab safety guideline, maintaining laboratory equipment, repair 3D printers and maintain 6S. (Essential) 5%
8. Assists quality control and production with problems in producing or testing chemical products either supplied or manufactured, including suggesting corrective procedures to follow. Leads teams in analyzing and resolving QC issues. (Essential). 5%
9. Help with production scale up, and process validation. (Essential) 5%
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, & Worker Characteristists
- Critical thinking, and experience with design of experiment methodologies (DOE).
- Leadership skills to lead projects.
- Ability to work individually and as team players.
- Highly motivated, a self-starter, and strong results orientation.
- Thorough knowledge of the design and manufacture of polymeric and inorganic based dental materials.
- Additive photopolymer systems.
- Polymer/ceramic composites.
- Polymer Structure-Properties Relationships
- Experience working in a regulated industry – ideally medical devices.
- Thorough knowledge of product validation, process control, statistical data analysis.
- Ability to effectively communicate both common and technological languages depending upon the audience.
- Thorough knowledge of both plant and laboratory safety rules, including proper handling of chemicals and knowledge of how to read SDS sheets and chemical labels.
Summary Education & Experience Required
A PhD in photopolymer chemistry or related material science and 4 or more years’ experience in research and development or related technological field of study or a Masters Degree in chemistry or related material science and 6 or more years’ experience in research and development .
Typical laboratory environment with daily exposure to potentially hazardous chemicals and fumes. Occasional domestic and international travel to visit customers and suppliers and to attend professional meetings.
Education Requirements (Any)
Masters Degree Chemistry or Related Material Science
Ph.D. or Equivalent Education plus Experience
Additional Information / Benefits
Whip Mix offers a competitive package of benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401k, life insurance, short term disability, long term disability and more.
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Holidays, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan
This job reports to the Research and Development Manager
This is a Full-Time position
Relocation is negotiable and travel is required occasionally
Number of Openings for this position: 2