Whip Mix Corporation is a manufacturer of dental laboratory and dental office supplies and equipment. It is headquartered in Louisville KY, with a manufacturing facility located in Fort Collins, Colorado. As a leader in the dental industry, Whip Mix is committed to leveraging its technical expertise and manufacturing excellence into practical solutions for dental professionals.
Please review our website at www.whipmix.com and our Facebook page! We are an EEO employer.
Job Skills / Requirements
Whip Mix Corporation - West
Fort Collins, CO
We are seeking a Manufacturing Engineer
Pay Range: $80,000 - 95,000 annually
Oversee and assess existing processes and workflows. Optimizes productivity by designing, implementing, and testing new procedures. Work in conjunction with different departments to assemble reports, review data and track metrics to discover areas for improvement. Use traditional engineering practices to lead new product and process development. Assist with quality support to determine root causes and process issues. Must also be able to provide detailed manufacturing engineering functions related to standard costing, tooling, assembly, capital, etc.
Should understand and support the vision of the company. This person should develop a sense of dependability and responsibility among their team members, operate with enthusiasm and lead by example. They will make certain their own assigned tasks are completed satisfactorily and to standards that are set for the team. Lean tools, methods and philosophy will be learned, utilized, and embraced. Communication will be given and received freely, frequently, consistently, accurately, and professionally. The priorities of safety first, quality second and production third will be accepted and required. You will act, behave, perform and “BE” what you want your team members to be.
Initiates, cooperates, or participates fully as appropriate in using the team approach in solving problems and suggesting improvements that enables Whip Mix to live up to its mission and values.
Job Functions and Responsibilities
Works with other team members to create bill of materials, routes, and design manufacturing processes. Works with operators to creates work instructions and monitors assemblers during build process for continuous improvement opportunities.
Recommends revisions to methods of operation, material handling, equipment layout, or other processes to increase production or improve quality. Develop manufacturing methods, labor utilization standards and cost analysis systems to promote efficient staff and facility utilization. Communicates with the various manufacturing departments regarding alterations or problems with current or new manufacturing processes and/or parts designs.
Ability to read engineering drawings (GD&T) and provide input to develop quality and reliability standards. Performs studies to determine effectiveness of processes through monitoring product quality. Reduces variation in performance of all areas of quality and outside suppliers using methods such as design of experiments, capability studies, Six Sigma and SPC. Works with quality to determine inspection criteria and methods. Supports quality in root cause analysis and assists with determination of product disposition.
Use CAD system software to design fixtures and work in conjunction with tool maker to develop fixtures for assembly department. Works with sales/marketing and production to identify product and process improvement opportunities and implements into production. Assess measurability and effect on end user satisfaction of product designs and changes. Monitor’s quality and accuracy of department generated drawings and works to resolve any problems that arise, suggest solutions, and modify drawings as needed.
Leads new products and process development as well as product qualification and re-qualification of new and existing products and processes. Conducts engineering studies while developing new processes to ensure successful transfer of information to production. Responsible for managing and leading change request system. Keeps track of project schedule and communicates effectively so that deadlines are met.
Confer with vendors, staff and management personnel regarding purchases, procedures, product specification, manufacturing capabilities and project status. Advise purchasing on technical issues and vendor materials.
Performs other functions or duties as assigned.
Job Requirements: Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, & Worker Characteristics
- Working knowledge of reading and generating engineering drawings that could include GD&T (Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance)
- Knowledge of and ability to effectively use CAD system software to design tooling fixtures, prototype parts and ability to apply drafting and drawing standards in producing plans and drawings
- Must be a strong technical thinker who is experienced in mechanical design and assembly
- Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, production methods and coordination of people and resources
- Detail oriented and thorough in completing work tasks
- Previous experience with MS Office, ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) systems, Solidworks (or other 3D CAD software) and general computer skills
- Analytical skills required using logic to address work-related issues and problems
- Excellent project management and leadership skills
- Effective communication, conflict management and team effectiveness
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to act with integrity and professionalism
- Ability to collaborate and work in a team environment
- Ability to write technical reports related to new process development and prepare organized and clear work instructions
- Standard quality and statistical methods, problem solving methods, process capability methods, sampling methods
Summary Education & Experience Required
- Degree in Engineering or another 2 or 4-year degree in a technical field is required
- Minimum of 4 years experience in a manufacturing environment with at least two years experience in a leadership role
- Must be an organized self-starter with very strong decision-making ability. Must have the ability lead a team successfully and also work effectively with other team members to collaborate and participate towards a common goal.
Typical office environment with potential for daily exposure to the noise levels and dangers of tools and equipment in a typical machine shop environment
Job Type: Full-time
Schedule/Hours: Monday - Friday 7:30a - 4:30p
Pay Frequency: Bi-Weekly
Education Requirements (Any)
2-4 Year Degree in a Technical Field
BA/BS in Engineering or Equivalent
Additional Information / Benefits
Benefits Include: Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, 401k Plan, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan
This job reports to the Plant Manager
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Relocation is not provided
Number of Openings for this position: 1