Job Skills / Requirements
This role will support the research, development, and quality control in the Resin lab to develop new resin formula, and support existing products under the direction of the Research and Development Manager. With minimum supervision, conducts research activities, formulation, development and testing of new products or improvement to existing products.
Understands and supports the vision of the company. This person should develop a sense of dependability and responsibility among their team members, operate with enthusiasm and lead by example. They will make certain their own assigned tasks are completed satisfactorily and to standards that are set for the team. Lean tools, methods and philosophy will be learned, utilized and embraced. Communication will be given and received freely, frequently, consistently, accurately and professionally. The priorities of safety first, quality second and production third will be accepted and required. You will act, behave, perform and “BE” what you want your team members to be.
Initiates, cooperates or participates fully as appropriate in using the team approach in solving problems and suggesting improvements that enables Whip Mix to live up to its mission and values.
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the team member. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Job Functions and Responsibilities
Assist with design, execute research for 3D printed resin, and independently conduct a portion of the research projects. Use project management software to create and update tasks. (Essential)
Develop new methods, and procedures for resin performance evaluation, and develop resolutions to complex or challenging issues and provide recommendations for improvements in cooperation with coworkers and supervisors. (Essential)
Collect, analyze, interpret, experimental data using excel and other software. Present data to the team using power point, initiate discussion, and come up with creative solutions on current research projects. (Essential)
Support improving existing products. (Essential)
Follow resin lab safety guideline, maintaining laboratory equipment, repair 3D printers and maintain 6S. (Essential)
Assists the chemical quality control lab with testing as needed. (Essential)
Help with production scale up, and process validation. (Essential)
Performs other duties as assigned. (Supplemental)
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, & Worker Characteristics
- The ability to think critically, and use logic to interpret data to design the next experiments.
- Thorough knowledge of quantitative and qualitative analytical testing procedures, and experience using typical lab test equipment for research analysis and quality control testing.
- A general knowledge of organic and inorganic chemistry is required. Experience with 3D printing is desirable.
- Math and rudimentary statistical skills sufficient to calculate formula composition and analyze variable data.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to provide detailed technical reports and interact successfully within a team framework, as well as convey information in an effective and professional manner.
- Ability to function in a timely manner under deadlines.
- Ability to operate personal computers and software packages relating to research and development testing procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of both plant and laboratory safety rules, including proper handling of chemicals and knowledge of how to read SDS sheets and chemical labels.
- Ability to distinguish colors (subtle differences in liquids and powders).
- Ability to be flexible and open-minded.
- Ability to self-train as needed.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills to multitask and prioritize tasks.
- Excellent problem-solving skills to elicit factual information, discuss pros and cons, and then formulate the best solution that can be implemented.
Summary Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, General Engineering or other field involving lab work
- 4+ years of experience conducting research, quantitative and qualitative analysis in a laboratory setting.
- Typical laboratory setting with daily exposure to potential hazards of working with chemicals and chemical by-products, especially the daily exposure to silica and nuisance dusts, and organic solvents and polymers.
- Will require the ability to walk through the manufacturing plant, and climb stairs as needed. Potential exposure to noise requiring use of hearing protection. Must wear safety glasses and safety toe shoes in production areas.
Education Requirements (Any)
Bachelor's Degree in chemistry or related field?
Additional Information / Benefits
Benefits Include: Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, 401k Plan, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan
This job reports to the Research & Development Manager
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift, Some weekend work may be necessary rarely.
Number of Openings for this position: 1