Join Spartanburg Water and you'll reap the rewards of a career in a stable industry dedicated to the protection of public health and the environment. We look for the best and expect the best in our workforce, and for our community. We promote a positive work/life balance. We're members of the South Carolina Retirement System, offer excellent benefits, a competitive starting salary with paid vacation and paid sick time as well as opportunities for advancement.
The successful candidate will under general supervision, perform field services related to meters, facilities, Ice Houses, and customer problems. Performs minor maintenance to meters as needed. Reports to Field Service Supervisor.
Job Skills / Requirements
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Operate Water System Vehicle; maintains in clean and orderly condition; ensures that preventive maintenance is performed on scheduled basis; operate cellular phone and electronic communications equipment; report major automobile repair needs in prompt manner.
- Maintain assigned tools, equipment, and machinery in proper working condition.
- Assist in performing the non-payment cut-off list, accurately documenting the meter reading and action performed to disconnect service (cut off, lock, or remove). Maintain records on meter tampering situations encountered; submit to supervisor as required.
- Communicate with and provides notification to customers relative to meter readings, bills, issues, etc.
- Utilize physical and electronic maps (GIS software) to locate various streets and/or meter locations.
- Assist Field Service Technicians, with most scheduled and unscheduled service orders in departments 03, 04, 07 and 13. Service orders consist of but are not limited to: move ins (turn on), move outs (turn off), check reads, removing, replacing or resetting meters, investigating no consumption and non-read meters, replacing lids, check leaks and conducting pre-billing verification reads. Completes tasks ensuring that work is performed in accordance with established policies and procedures, and in timely manner.
- Collect money, stock, and service Ice House units as scheduled. Perform visual inspections, housekeeping, sanitization, and functional testing for existing units.
- Recognize potential meter problems and/or repair needs and performs minor maintenance as needed; report major repair needs and/or problems in prompt manner. Check customer meters for leaks and repairs any found leaks inside of the meter box; prepares written explanation of findings and submits in timely manner for review and approval; communicate findings to supervisor.
- Operate and maintain hand held meter reading microcomputer for the purpose of reading or troubleshooting the ERT (Encoder/recorder/transmitter). Reprogram and or replace damaged or non-functioning ERTs or dials.
- Utilize various types of tools, equipment, and devices such as calculator, cellular phone/radio, electronic tablet/laptop, metal detector, cutoff key, torx bit, vise, pipe wrench, shovel, posthole diggers, probe bar, binoculars, screwdriver, hammer, chisel, pruners, utility cutter, meter lid lifter, etc.
- Provide courier service to deliver/pick up documents or other items for the Administrative Office and other departments, as needed.
- Observe prescribed safety rules in the performance of activities and use personal protective equipment as required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 6 months to 1 year of experience in related field; or any equivalent combination of education and experience, or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Must possess valid driver's license.
- Must be able to obtain First Aid/CPR certifications.
Education Requirements (Any)
High School diploma or equivalent
Additional Information / Benefits
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan, Pension/Retirement, Educational Assistance
This job reports to the Field Services Supervisor
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Number of Openings for this position: 1