Centre College Invites applicants for the position of Groundskeeper
Centre College is a premier national liberal arts college that serves approximately 1,400 students and provides a supportive community and a flexible, personal academic path to a meaningful life and career. Founded in 1819, Centre accomplishes its goals in an atmosphere of caring and respectful relationships among faculty, students, and staff. The College has an endowment in excess of $420 million and an operating budget of more than $65 million.
Centre welcomes and supports diversity. The College strives to create an environment where differences are celebrated, where individuals can exchange ideas and share in the richness of mutual experiences. Please view our Statement of Community.
Located in Danville, KY, the historic, picturesque 150-acre campus is 30 miles from Lexington, in the famed Bluegrass Region of Central Kentucky.
For information concerning the College, visit our web site at www.centre.edu
Job Skills / Requirements
Under the supervision of the Grounds Operations Supervisor, the incumbent will mow lawns and fields, control weeds, pick up and remove trash, shovel/plow snow and generally maintain grounds belonging to the college. In addition, this position will provide general labor for moving equipment and furniture.
Essential Job Functions:
- High stamina for manual labor over extended periods of time and under adverse conditions associated with all climate conditions;
- Maintain turf areas of the college campus often working without direct supervision;
- Job includes all aspects of turf management --aerating, seeding, leaf pick up, blowing sidewalks, parking lots, trash removal;
- All aspects of ground maintenance, lawns, walks, streets, parking areas, and drainage mechanisms;
- Operate and keep in proper adjustment all mechanical equipment assigned to the grounds operation;
- Tree and limb removal using chain saws and aerial lift equipment;
- Available to work overtime with short notice for the safety of the campus community;
- Ability to use mowers, weed eaters, blowers, tractors, etc.;
- Ability to remove snow using hand and mechanical devices including the ability to apply salt and other ice melting chemicals in the desired amounts;
- Valid driver’s license;
- Responsible for maintaining and wearing of college provided uniforms and insuring a clean professional appearance and attitude at all times;
- Keeps all equipment clean, maintained or stored properly.
- Enforce and adhere to standard safety precautions. Attend all mandatory training;
- Appreciation of and commitment to further an inclusive culture for those of diverse backgrounds such as ability, age, class, ethnicity, faith, gender, neurodiversity, race and sexual orientation.
- Facilities Management provides critical services to the college to ensure the safety of the students, faculty, and staff. Facilities employees are critical personnel, which requires us to be present during inclement weather and all other emergencies
Marginal Job Functions:
- Occasionally assist in moving freight and furniture;
- Keep alert to and report all unsafe conditions or potential problems in the turf area of the campus;
- Fleet repair and maintenance, electric cart repair and maintenance as time permits;
- Maintain, repair and replace drainage related materials for wet areas;
- Contribute to the overall success of the department by performing all other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience
High School diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience. Individual will learn duties through the job training.
Knowledge and Skills
Knowledge and experience in mechanical adjustments and repair in maintaining in a responsible manner all equipment assigned to the grounds operation. Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines. Ability to read and properly interpret written instruction, labels and other materials associated with the performance of this work.
Ability and willingness to become a licensed chemical applicant for chemical sprays, should the college determine it necessary.
High stamina for manual labor over extended periods of time and under adverse conditions associated with all climate conditions. This job also involves all of the following in various degrees but it not limited to only these physical demands: carrying, standing, pulling, pushing, turning, stooping, lifting, squatting, seeing, sitting, climbing, walking, kneeling, reaching, and twisting.
Also involves exposure to the following environmental conditions: fumes, oil, dirt, hazards, gas, chemicals, heat/cold, toxins and noise.
Interested applicants must apply through the Centre College Human Resources site at Employment at Centre | Centre College (with a cover letter, resume, and list of references). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until filled. For full consideration, application materials must be submitted online by January 2, 2023.
Education Requirements (Any)
High School Diploma or GED equivalent
Additional Information / Benefits
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan, Educational Assistance
This job reports to the Grounds Operations Supervisor
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift, occasional evenings and weekends.
Number of Openings for this position: 1