Centre College is a premier national liberal arts college that serves approximately 1,400 students and provides a supportive community and a flexible, personal academic path to a meaningful life and career. Founded in 1819, Centre accomplishes its goals in an atmosphere of caring and respectful relationships among faculty, students, and staff. The College has an endowment in excess of $420 million and an operating budget of more than $65 million.
Centre welcomes and supports diversity. The College strives to create an environment where differences are celebrated, where individuals can exchange ideas and share in the richness of mutual experiences. Please view our Statement of Community.
Located in Danville, KY, the historic, picturesque 150-acre campus is 30 miles from Lexington, in the famed Bluegrass Region of Central Kentucky.
Job Skills / Requirements
Centre College invites applications for the position of Assistant Director for Residence Life and Housing
Primary duties include assisting the Residence Life Office in areas of leadership, education, and training programming. RA supervision and assist in coordinating campus housing. They are a member of the Student Life staff reporting to the Director of Residence Life.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist with day-to-day management of the residential program;
- Assist with Resident Assistant (RA) recruitment, selection, training, and evaluation;
- Directly oversee upper class student housing on north campus and supervise Resident Assistants assigned to these areas:
- Attend weekly all-staff meetings and RD meetings;
- Oversee and evaluate the Resident Assistant’s community development plans;
- Track student staff programming budgets;
- Participate in the Residence Life Professional on-call rotation;
- Aid in the development and implementation of learning outcomes and assessment procedures for Residence Life;
- Provide support for and direction to the Residence Life student staff;
- Assist in Spring housing selection process and placements using the housing software system;
- Assist with end-of-the-year residence hall and house closings;
- Assist with summer housing placement, move-in, key distribution, and move-out;
- Assist with residence hall and house opening, including early arrivals;
- Conduct regular building walk-throughs;
- Assist with abroad housing placements for CentreTerm and Spring term;
- Work with Facilities management on damage repairs and work orders;
- Demonstrate appreciation of and commitment to further an inclusive culture for those of diverse backgrounds such as ability, age, class, ethnicity, faith, gender, neurodiversity, race and sexual orientation;
- Occasional night and weekend work is required.
- Appreciation of and experience working with a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of many social, economic, cultural, ideological, racial, and ethnic backgrounds;
Marginal Job Functions:
- Assist with Student Life special projects and events including, but not limited to, new student orientation, leadership retreats, room selection, Homecoming, fraternity and sorority recruitment, Senior Week, and campus programming;
- Contribute to the overall success of the department by performing all other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Master’s Degree preferred in Higher Education, Student Affairs, or a related field preferred.
- One year of part time or 2 years full time residence life experience in a collegiate environment strongly preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including presenting to groups and in a one-to-one setting.
- Willingness to work flexible schedule, which may include evening and weekend hours as required.
- Limited pushing, pulling, lifting. Lifting would not exceed 20 lbs.
- Mobility on campus necessary.
Interested applicants must apply through the Centre College Human Resources site at Employment at Centre | Centre College (with a cover letter, resume, and list of references). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until filled. For full consideration, application materials must be submitted online by June, 29th, 2023.
Education Requirements (Any)
Bachelors Degree required. Masters Degree preferred.
Additional Information / Benefits
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan
This job reports to the Director or Residence Life
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift, Weekends, Some Weekends and Evenings.
Number of Openings for this position: 1