Centre College is a premier national liberal arts college that serves approximately 1,400 students and provides a supportive community and a flexible, personal academic path to a meaningful life and career. Founded in 1819, Centre accomplishes its goals in an atmosphere of caring and respectful relationships among faculty, students, and staff. The College has an endowment in excess of $420 million and an operating budget of more than $65 million.
Centre welcomes and supports diversity. The College strives to create an environment where differences are celebrated, where individuals can exchange ideas and share in the richness of mutual experiences. Please view our Statement of Community.
Located in Danville, KY, the historic, picturesque 150-acre campus is 30 miles from Lexington, in the famed Bluegrass Region of Central Kentucky.
For information concerning the College, visit our web site at www.centre.edu
Job Skills / Requirements
Centre College invites applications for the position of Assistant Volleyball Coach: This is an exempt (salary) position. Under supervision of the Head Volleyball Coach, provide assistance in the leadership of all coaching, recruiting, and administrative duties for a competitive Division III volleyball program. Individual reports to the Head Volleyball Coach as well as to the Deputy AD (or designee) with a secondary duty to be assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist in organizing, preparing, and conducting practices, training, and competition;
- Recruit student-athletes in accordance with all Centre College, Southern Athletic Association, and NCAA rules and regulations;
- Demonstrates an appreciation of and commitment to further an inclusive culture for those of diverse backgrounds such as ability, age, class, ethnicity, faith, gender identity, gender expression, neurodiversity, race, and sexual orientation;
- Assist in directing all aspects of the team;
- Assist with the holistic development of volleyball student-athletes;
- Represent the program and the College to students, parents, alumni, and the general public;
- Assist in managing the daily operations and administration facets of the volleyball program – including but not limited to – court maintenance and set-up;
- Actively participate in department-wide fundraising initiatives;
- Assist in all duties as assigned by the Head Coach or the Director of Athletics;
- Secondary duty to be assigned at a later date.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree with previous collegiate experience as a player or a coach; previous collegiate coaching experience preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
Demonstrated knowledge of the sport of volleyball and its playing rules; ability to foster a team environment; demonstrated coaching skills in sport of volleyball; knowledge of travel, lodging, planning, and scheduling; a commitment to the NCAA Division III philosophy of athletics, sufficient knowledge of NCAA and SAA rules and regulations, and a demonstrated ability to successfully recruit, retain, and mentor student-athletes; the ability, and desire, to work successfully within a team-oriented athletic department.
Moderate physical activity. Requires handling up to 25 pounds. Standing and or walking for more than four hours per day.
Interested applicants must apply through the Centre College Human Resources site at Employment at Centre | Centre College (with a cover letter, resume, and list of references). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until filled. For full consideration, application materials must be submitted online by July 13th, 2023.
Education Requirements (Any)
Bachelors Degree with previous collegiate playing or coaching experience required.
Additional Information / Benefits
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Holidays, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan
This job reports to the Head Volleyball Coach and Deputy Athletic Director
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift, Weekends, Summers.
Relocation is not provided and travel is required occasionally
Number of Openings for this position: 1