Centre College is a premier national liberal arts college that serves approximately 1,400 students and provides a supportive community and a flexible, personal academic path to a meaningful life and career. Founded in 1819, Centre accomplishes its goals in an atmosphere of caring and respectful relationships among faculty, students, and staff. The College has an endowment in excess of $420 million and an operating budget of more than $65 million.
Centre welcomes and supports diversity. The College strives to create an environment where differences are celebrated, where individuals can exchange ideas and share in the richness of mutual experiences. Please view our Statement of Community.
Located in Danville, KY, the historic, picturesque 150-acre campus is 30 miles from Lexington, in the famed Bluegrass Region of Central Kentucky.
Job Skills / Requirements
Centre College invites applications for the position of Assistant Director (Study Abroad/Away), Center for Global Citizenship.
This position will manages the day-to-day administration of the college’s domestic and international programs and assists the Director in all tasks. This position reports to the Executive Director of the Center for Global Citizenship, requires after-hours availability and willingness to travel as needed.
Essential Job Functions:
* Provides student- and faculty-centered support throughout the proposal, recruitment, pre-departure, off-campus, and re-entry processes;
* Advises students on abroad opportunities and application and selection processes;
* Advises selected students on course options; assists with abroad course registration; liaises between students, appropriate Centre faculty and programs, and Registrar for course fulfillments;
* Advises students and faculty on passport, travel and visas
* Provides support and information to parents/guardians of students studying abroad;
* Serve as point of contact for finance office and financial aid office regarding payments, costs, etc.;
* Works with numerous offices on campus to coordinate finances, housing, meal plans, scholarships, and more for students studying abroad;
* Assists the Executive Director in recruitment for abroad programs, including creating all recruitment materials, updating website, maintaining and processing online application system;
* Responds and helps to resolve escalated overseas problems and emergencies;
Schedules, creates agendas for, and leads pre-departure meetings;
* Assists the Executive Director in managing travel medicine clinics and safety meetings for all participants;
* Maintains faculty and student abroad handbooks, study abroad Moodle portal, forms, etc.;
* Maintains college’s study abroad participant databases;
* Collects and analyzes study abroad assessments;
* Assists Executive Director in monitoring and informing students, parents, and campus constituents about State Department travel alerts and warnings;
* Assists Executive Director in completing administrative, third-party assessments and reports, including the annual IIE Open Doors Survey;
- Maintains regular contact with Centre’s various domestic and international partners,
- Demonstrates an appreciation of and commitment to further an inclusive culture for those of diverse backgrounds such as ability, age, class, ethnicity, faith background, gender expression, gender identity, geographic region, national origin, neurodiversity, race, and sexual orientation that comprise individual and group expressions of identity;
* Member of the Off-Campus Programs Committee (OCPC), and participant on other ad hoc committees as needed.
Marginal Job Functions:
* Periodic special projects as assigned by the Executive Director;
* Represents the Executive Director and the Center for Global Citizenship;
* Contributes to the overall success of the department by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
*Demonstrated experience working in higher education and with international programs/travel services
Knowledge and Skills:
Self-motivated, detailed, solution-oriented, and flexible, with the ability to work independently and closely with a diverse group of colleagues in occasional high-pace, high-stress environments. Willingness to work well with numerous constituencies at Centre College and abroad, including administrators, staff, faculty students and parents.
Extensive written and oral communication skills. Ability to use the following programs: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, WordPress. Must be able to organize and manage multiple assignments.
Foreign language ability (preferred)
Overseas living and/or study abroad experience (preferred)
Limited pushing, pulling, lifting. Lifting would not exceed 20 lbs. Mobility on campus and ability to travel abroad necessary.
TO APPLY : Interested applicants must apply through the Centre College Human Resources site at Employment at Centre | Centre College (with a cover letter, resume, and list of references). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until October 1st, 2023.
Education Requirements (Any)
Bachelors degree preferred
Additional Information / Benefits
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan
This job reports to the ED of the Center for Global Citizenship
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Relocation is not provided and travel is not required
Number of Openings for this position: 1