Established in 1819, Centre College is a nationally ranked Liberal Arts College and is proud to host one of the nation’s premier study-abroad programs. With 1,400 students and an exceptional faculty of 142 full-time teacher-scholars, classes are small and academic standards are high, and Centre graduates enjoy extraordinary success in top graduate and professional schools, prestigious fellowships, and rewarding careers.
Job Skills / Requirements
Centre College invites applications for the position of Groundskeeper.
Under the supervision of the Grounds Operations Supervisor, the incumbent will
mow lawns and fields, control weeds, pick up and remove trash, shovel/plow snow and maintain grounds belonging to the college. In addition, this position will provide general labor for moving equipment and furniture.
Essential Job Functions:
- High stamina for manual labor over extended periods of time and under adverse conditions associated with all climate conditions;
- Maintain turf areas of the college campus often working without direct supervision;
- Job includes all aspects of turf management --aerating, seeding, leaf pick up, blowing sidewalks, parking lots, trash removal;
- All aspects of ground maintenance, lawns, walks, streets, parking areas, and drainage mechanisms;
- Operate and keep in proper adjustment all mechanical equipment assigned to the grounds operation;
- Tree and limb removal using chain saws and aerial lift equipment;
- Available to work overtime with short notice for the safety of the campus community;
- Ability to use mowers, weed eaters, blowers, tractors, etc.;
- Ability to remove snow using hand and mechanical devices including the ability to apply salt and other ice melting chemicals in the desired amounts;
- Valid driver’s license;
- Responsible for maintaining and wearing of college provided uniforms and insuring a clean professional appearance and attitude at all times;
- Keeps all equipment clean, maintained or stored properly.
- Enforce and adhere to standard safety precautions. Attend all mandatory training;
- Appreciation of and commitment to further an inclusive culture for those of diverse backgrounds such as ability, age, class, ethnicity, faith, gender, neurodiversity, race, and sexual orientation.
- Facilities Management provides critical services to the college to ensure the safety of the students, faculty, and staff. Facilities employees are critical personnel, which requires us to be present during inclement weather and all other emergencies
Marginal Job Functions:
- Occasionally assist in moving freight and furniture;
- Keep alert to and report all unsafe conditions or potential problems in the turf area of the campus;
- Fleet repair and maintenance, electric cart repair and maintenance as time permits;
- Maintain, repair, and replace drainage related materials for wet areas;
- Contribute to the overall success of the department by performing all other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience
High School diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience. Individual will learn duties through job training.
Knowledge and Skills
Knowledge and experience in mechanical adjustments and repair in maintaining in a responsible manner all equipment assigned to the ground's operation. Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines. Ability to read and properly interpret written instruction, labels and other materials associated with the performance of this work.
Ability and willingness to become a licensed chemical applicant for chemical sprays, should the college determine if necessary.
Valid Drivers License required.
High stamina for manual labor over extended periods of time and under adverse conditions associated with all climate conditions. This job also involves all the following in various degrees, but it not limited to only these physical demands: carrying, standing, pulling, pushing, turning, stooping, lifting, squatting, seeing, sitting, climbing, walking, kneeling, reaching, and twisting. Also involves exposure to the following environmental conditions: fumes, oil, dirt, hazards, gas, chemicals, heat/cold, toxins and noise.
Interested applicants must apply through the Centre College Human Resources site at Employment at Centre | Centre College (with a cover letter, resume, and list of references). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until filled
Education Requirements (Any)
High School Diploma or GED equivalent
Additional Information / Benefits
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan
This job reports to the Grounds Operations Supervisor
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Relocation is not provided and travel is not required
Number of Openings for this position: 1