The national offices of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), based in Louisville, Kentucky, serve and work with mid-councils, congregations and partner organizations to carry forth the mission of Jesus Christ in the World. The work at the Presbyterian Center is carried out by approximately 400 staff members in several national entities: Office of the General Assembly, Presbyterian Investment and Loan, Presbyterian Mission Agency, Presbyterian Publishing Corporation, Presbyterian Women and the Administrative Services Group.
This position will manage, coordinate and implement a mission interpretation and promotion plan with the goal that congregations will receive and see consistent and clear information that compels them to deepen their engagement in Presbyterian mission and increase their support of Shared Mission, Special Offerings and Per Capita. This person will curate, coordinate and deliver a quarterly Presbyterian mission interpretation packet and an annual packet that solicits support from congregations. These materials will be presented through the lens of Matthew 25. From time to time there may be special projects related to donor relations as determined by Senior Director of Mission Engagement and Support.
Job Skills / Requirements
- Collaboratively develop Mission Engagement pathways: coordinate the development of congregational resources and delivery systems which deepen engagement with Matthew 25 and will:
- A) include hands-on opportunities for engagement in Presbyterian Mission.
- B) Logically move a congregation and church leader through awareness and the ability to articulate Presbyterian Mission.
- C) Equip churches for a host of responses including compelling them to direct action, structural/systemic understanding, and opportunities for advocacy as well as financial support and
- D) are adaptable for increasingly diverse congregational settings
- Work with Ministry Areas to solicit and manage interpretive pieces that provide information and tools for church leaders. This will increase their understanding and ability to “champion” Presbyterian Mission.
- Provide resourcing to congregations based on General Assembly decisions and timely global events at the direction of the Senior Director for Mission Engagement and support.
- Shared Mission (Mathew 25): Organizing/curating and delivering resources that inform, describe, and deepen engagement in the ministries of the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. and the giving vehicles that facilitate financial support. Specific resources may include bulletin inserts, impact reports, Leaders’ guides, Bible and lectionary studies. Worship resources, educational resources for children, youth, families., maintaining a church leader resource web presence.
- Emergency appeals (as needed. With PDA)
Essential Position Requirements:
Education: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Christian Education or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3 or more years’ experience in supporting church-related or non-profits organization
- Experience in project management both print and online preferred.
- Knowledge of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
- Solid understanding of the function of mission interpretation and engagement as a tool for individual and congregational discipleship.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects to completion on time and within budget
Helpful Skills: Proficiency in the English language and one or more additional languages very helpful.
- Works collaboratively with a focus on building and maintaining strong relationships across ministry areas and agencies.
- Interacts and communicates with individuals from different racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds and to respect different work styles and personality types
- Comfortable with multi-channel communication approaches.
- Listens and understands who the audience is in national denomination with an international reputation.
- Excellent writing and editing skills are required
- Works as part of a team and contributes to accomplish goals and objectives
- Works independently to complete assigned work in order to deliver results without close supervision or support
- To travel occasionally
- To work evening/weekend hours on occasion to support events/programs/travel
- To see, hear, speak, type, write, and move from one location to another while performing tasks.
- To lift up to 25 pounds
Additional Information / Benefits
We believe a balanced life, with time for work, leisure, and spiritual nurture, makes us healthier and more productive colleagues at the Presbyterian Center.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) offers a competitive benefits package for eligible employees including Medical, Dental, Pension Plan, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Flexible Spending accounts, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan Vacation Days, Sick Days, and Paid Holidays.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates from Presbyterian communities in the global south and other historic Presbyterian Communities of Color, preferably with theological training and fluency in languages other than English, are encouraged to apply. Individuals living with disabilities encouraged to apply.