The national offices of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), based in Louisville, Kentucky, serve and work with mid-councils, congregations and partner organizations to carry forth the mission of Jesus Christ in the World. The work at the Presbyterian Center is carried out by approximately 400 staff members in several national entities: Office of the General Assembly, Presbyterian Investment and Loan, Presbyterian Mission Agency, Presbyterian Publishing Corporation, Presbyterian Women and the Administrative Services Group.
Provide management and assist with the smooth and effective operations of the Theology, Formation and Evangelism (TFE) ministry area. The Associate Director will resource and connect program ministry by providing thoughtful leadership and coordinating the work of ministry staff, so that the strategic purpose of TFE is implemented in collaboration with PMA ministry areas, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) agencies and mid councils. This coordination results in the renewal, effectiveness, and multiplication of the local church. The Associate Director will assist the Director in fully engaging the Matthew 25 Vision.
Job Skills / Requirements
- Assist Director in managing the work of TFE staff, so that we are living fully into the Matthew 25 Vision by engaging necessary partnerships with mid councils and church agencies and producing the essential resources to nurture and equip worshiping communities.
- Supervise the work of the four ministry coordinators (Coordinator for 1001 New Worshiping Communities, Coordinator for Christian Formation, Coordinator for Theology and Worship and Coordinator for Vital Congregations) and the Presbyterian Youth Triennium Office.
- Assist in the implementation of the strategic purpose of Theology, Formation and Evangelism by working productively with director and other members of TFE leadership team.
- Write, edit reports and other business items to the Presbyterian Mission Agency Board.
- Write and edit responses and comments to General Assembly referrals.
- Coordinate TFE workflow into and out of the Presbyterian Mission Agency Board and General Assembly meetings. Assist staff in collaborative efforts within the PMA and the other church agencies.
- Collaborate with evangelism ecumenical partners in developing ways to make evangelism resources available across denominational lines.
- Manage projects and other responsibilities, as requested.
Essential Position Requirements:
Education: Master of Divinity or equivalent
- Faith commitment to Jesus Christ and strong Christian witness
- 10 years of work in local congregations/ mid councils/new worshiping communities
- Experience in an operational management role, preferably in a mission agency, large church or faith-based organization
- 6 or more years’ experience managing direct and indirect reports
- Ability to interact and communicate with individuals from different racial and cultural backgrounds. Excellent communications and interpersonal skills across all levels and audiences
- Experience with creating and implementing innovative ministries and setting a vision for teams.
- Experience in congregational ministry
- Strong leadership and administrative management skills. Demonstrated knowledge of corporate/operational procedures (management, HR, legal, IT, etc.)
- Knowledge of and experience in the PC(USA) and knowledge of or the ability to quickly learn the ministries of Theology, Formation and Evangelism.
- Excellent writing, editing and speaking skills
- Self-starter, with an ability to lead teams to excellence
- Strong organizational skills. Ability to handle multiple projects and follow them through to completion, in a timely manner.
- Experience working well with people and projects.
- Strong computer skills
- Social Media Skills helpful
- Fluency in languages other than English are encouraged to apply
- Demonstrated skills in the areas of problem-solving, integrative-thinking, communication and collaboration.
- Ability to work under ambiguous situations and to deal with change.
- Proven ability to be accountable and to deliver excellence.
- Experience working with diverse groups and culture
- Ability to travel frequently
- Requires the ability to work evening/weekend hours on occasion to support events/programs/travel.
- Requires the ability to see, hear, speak, type, write, and move from one location to another while performing tasks.
Additional Information / Benefits
We believe a balanced life, with time for work, leisure, and spiritual nurture, makes us healthier and more productive colleagues at the Presbyterian Center.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) offers a competitive benefits package for eligible employees including Medical, Dental, Pension Plan, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Flexible Spending accounts, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, Vacation Days, Sick Days, and Paid Holidays.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates from Presbyterian communities in the global south and other historic Presbyterian Communities of Color, preferably with theological training and fluency in languages other than English, are encouraged to apply. Individuals living with disabilities encouraged to apply.