The national offices of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), based in Louisville, Kentucky, serve and work with mid-councils, congregations and partner organizations to carry forth the mission of Jesus Christ in the World. The work at the Presbyterian Center is carried out by approximately 400 staff members in several national entities: Office of the General Assembly, Presbyterian Investment and Loan, Presbyterian Mission Agency, Presbyterian Publishing Corporation, Presbyterian Women and the Administrative Services Group.
Position Purpose: Translates, edits, proofreads, and performs related linguistic tasks for essential Church documents from English to Spanish and vice versa, ensuring the accuracy of the translation and cultural sensitivity. Works collaboratively with an internal team of staff linguists and with freelance linguists to consistently meet or exceed customer expectations for translated materials. Meets productivity and quality goals and expectations set by the Global Language Resource (GLR) Manager.
ESSENTIAL POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelor’s degree. Preferably in translation, communication, or related field or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
• 3–5 years of experience with translation projects
• Native Spanish speaker with near-native fluency in written English.
• Familiarity with computer-assisted translation software tools.
• Experience with, and an understanding of, cultural and racial inclusiveness. Values diverse groups, ethnicities, genders, communities, cultural constituencies and points of view.
• Knowledge in subtitling Venmo and YouTube videos
• Knowledge in Spotting/Time Codes for subtitling.
• Proficient in the knowledge of structure, polity, and language relevant to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A).
• Experience in simultaneous and consecutive interpreting in conference, community and/or judicial settings.
• Ability to adapt to varying requirements depending on workflow and shifts in priorities
• Strong collaborative spirit and ability to work well with others
• Strong planning, time management and organizational skills
• Ability to handle multiple projects and follow them through to completion, in a timely manner.
• Ability to handle conflict professionally in a constructive and positive manner.
• Requires the ability to travel
We believe a balanced life, with time for work, leisure, and spiritual nurture, makes us healthier and more productive colleagues at the Presbyterian Center.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) offers a competitive benefits package for eligible employees including Medical, Dental, Pension Plan, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Flexible Spending accounts, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, Vacation Days, Sick Days, and Paid Holidays.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Candidates from Presbyterian communities in the global south and other historic Presbyterian Communities of Color, preferably with theological training and fluency in languages other than English, are encouraged to apply. Individuals living with disabilities encouraged to apply.
This job reports to the Manager, Global Language Resources
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Number of Openings for this position: 1