The national offices of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), based in Louisville Kentucky, serve with mid-councils, congregations, worshipping communities, and partner organizations to carry forth the mission of Jesus Christ. Approximately 400 individuals, diverse in race, age, gender, sexual orientation, faith, skills, and more, come together as colleagues to work for a world where justice reigns, peace prevails, and God’s love extends to all people. This community comprises the staff of several national agencies and entities: the Office of the General Assembly, Presbyterian Investment and Loan Corporation, the Presbyterian Mission Agency, the Presbyterian Publishing Corporation, Presbyterian Women, and the Administrative Services Group. Join a community of gifted and caring professionals to work closely with the Associate Director for Global Connections in World Mission as the ministry area undergoes fundamental strategic, operational, and cultural change.
This dynamic position will provide comprehensive support of World Mission's strategic work, aligned with the Presbyterian Mission Agency's mission, vision, goals and values. The person selected will have the option to be based in Louisville, KY or to work from a remote location on a full-time basis.
This position reports to the Associate Director, Global Connections, World Mission, Presbyterian Mission Agency.
The person selected will have the option to be based in Africa, the United States (Louisville, KY preferred) or possibly another remote work location.
Job Skills / Requirements
- Collaboratively develops and implements an Area strategy for the Africa region.
- Supervises strategically-placed Regional Liaisons (RL), empowered to lead PC(USA) mission involvement, oversee the work of personnel in their respective regions, and build ecumenical partnerships in their regions.
- Creates common spaces for information-sharing and decision-making where concerns, initiatives, needs and capacities of global partners, mission participants and World Mission are communicated with clarity to each other (i.e. Presbytery and congregational partnerships, mission networks, partnership networks, mission support groups, global partners, mission committees or other structures) as they grow together as communities of mission practice. Includes being a central resource at our biannual General Assembly, for commissioners and delegates.
Additional Information / Benefits
Essential Position Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in appropriate field of study or equivalent work experience, preferred
- Experience in cross-cultural work
- Emotional Maturity & Adaptability: Maintains a positive disposition, is well differentiated, and not easily thrown off balance or becomes negatively reactive. (The Presbyterian Mission Agency (PMA) is a multi-national organization serving many constituencies with a wide variety of perspectives, values, and interests. Further, PMA is an innovative organization in a significant state of evolution where changes happen regularly and routinely.)
- Proactive: Anticipates needs, issues, challenges, disagreement, conflict, and obstacles and helps avoid or move through them.
- Collaborative: Works together in an inclusive community, invites input, shares ideas and seeks the best ways to accomplish common goals and easily adapts to a dynamic work environment.
- Accountable: Maintains a bias toward responsibility for actions and works with integrity.
- Responsive: Responds to the voices and needs of constituencies by being timely, helpful, enthusiastic and mission-centered.
- Organization: Strong organizational skills and the ability to take the lead in office organization and workflows.
- Leadership: Ability to motivate team members and clearly communicate expectations.
- Inter-Cultural Proficiency and Bridge-Building: Understands and values differences in various cultures within the organization. Manages dynamics of cultural differences within a work group. Adapts to cultural diversity by continuously learning about differences.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Works closely in collaboration with partner organizations and movements, congregations, and other.
- Communication: Outstanding written, phone, digital and verbal skills. Language skills appropriate to the region, with French strongly preferred.
- Tech-Savvy: Enjoys adopting new technologies and apps that contribute to productivity, teamwork and organizational effectiveness.
- Excellent: Works with energy, intelligence, imagination and love.
- Life / Work Balance: Recognizes the importance of rest and renewal and the need to maintain an appropriate balance between work life and personal life by adapting to changing needs at work, taking time to pursue personal interests, seeking others' help and discernment when needed and responding appropriately when overcommitted or when faced with stressful or dynamic situations.
This is largely a sedentary position that may require occasional filing and lifting up to 15 pounds. Requires the ability to see, hear, speak, type, write, walk, stand, bend and lift. This is a full-time position.
Sensory and physical requirements include the ability to communicate verbally in person and by telephone and the ability to read and understand written materials. Ability to communicate in a manner suitable to a church office environment.
Overnight, out of town travel will be necessary in support of fulfilling work needs and obligations.
Additional Information / Benefits
We believe a balanced life, with time for work, leisure, and spiritual nurture, makes us healthier and more productive colleagues at the Presbyterian Center.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) offers a competitive benefits package including:
Company Paid Benefits
Death and Disability
Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Flexible Spending accounts
403(b) Retirement Savings Plan
Group Term Life Insurance
Critical Illness Insurance
Presbyterian Church (USA) is committed to being not only an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer as defined by the U.S. government, but with the inclusion of gender identity and sexual orientation as well.
Candidates from Presbyterian communities in the global south and other historic Presbyterian Communities of Color, preferably with theological training and fluency in languages other than English, are encouraged to apply.
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Number of Openings for this position: 1