The national offices of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), based in Louisville Kentucky, serve with mid-councils, congregations, worshipping communities, and partner organizations to carry forth the mission of Jesus Christ. Approximately 400 individuals, diverse in race, age, gender, sexual orientation, faith, skills, and more, come together as colleagues to work for a world where justice reigns, peace prevails, and God’s love extends to all people. This community comprises the staff of several national entities: the Office of the General Assembly, Presbyterian Investment and Loan Corporation, the Presbyterian Mission Agency, the Presbyterian Publishing Corporation, Presbyterian Women, and the Administrative Services Group.
Investigate, research, and analyze legal issues to arrive at independent cognitive recommendations to Legal Services attorneys or work under supervision of attorneys in a wide variety of areas, including but not limited to: church loans, church and corporate structure, property and litigation, as well as draft requested documents and prepare legal memoranda of law.
Job Skills / Requirements
- Conduct legal research to industry standards as needed or requested and prepare reports of outcome of research.
- Conduct research of minutes of General Assembly and agencies of PCUSA and prepare reports of the outcome of that research.
- Work with Deputy General Counsel on restricted funds matters.
- Work with Staff Attorney on intellectual property matters.
- Assist General Counsel in litigation matters, such as production of documents.
- Help administer process of receiving requests for independent contracts and processing requests.
- Support senior paralegal who administers legal aspects of PILP’s loan programs under supervision of attorney which includes drafting documents to secure the loan (mortgage, promissory note, guaranty, loan participation agreement, assignment and pledge agreement) and review and comment on all required back-up documentation required by PILP’s Policies and in conformance with appropriate laws (corporate documentation, title commitments, etc.). Also, includes preparing releases and various other documents which may arise in a lending situation. Maintain database of forms for the various loan and release documents.
- Support General Counsel and Deputy General Counsel in internal investigations.
- Work with Deputy General Counsel and Staff Attorney on legal and property issues related to identification of properties owned by the A Corporation and identifying legal issues concerning how to dispose of property.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Position Requirements:
Education: Paralegal degree from an accredited program
Experience: Five years of experience as a paralegal (corporate preferred)
- Legal research, analysis and writing
- Word processing and electronic research proficiency
- Ability to work independently and perform well as emergency projects arise
- Knowledge of church structure
- Real estate experience
- Ability to communicate with mid councils, teaching elders, and members across the Church
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with co-workers, outside legal counsel and outside visitors or callers, in a manner suitable to a church office environment
- Ability to manage conflicting deadlines and conflict management skills
- This is largely a sedentary position. However, filing in file cabinets and file rooms, storing and retrieving boxes, but some work will require standing, bending and the ability to lift up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to understand and process written or printed and verbal information.
- Ability to produce documents and reports.
- The ability to see, hear, speak, type, write, walk, stand, bend, and lift
- The scheduled hours at 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. (but can be adjusted by discussion with the General Counsel) and include legally required breaks, and a lunch period.
- Typically, overnight out-of-town travel is not required.
- On occasion after hours work may be necessary to assist with board meetings and the General Assembly.
Additional Information / Benefits
We believe a balanced life, with time for work, leisure, and spiritual nurture, makes us healthier and more productive colleagues at the Presbyterian Center.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) offers a competitive benefits package for eligible employees including Medical, Dental, Pension Plan, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Flexible Spending accounts, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, Vacation Days, Sick Days, and Paid Holidays.
but with the inclusion of gender identity and sexual orientation as well.
preferably with theological training and fluency in languages other than English, are encouraged to apply.
This job reports to the General Counsel
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Number of Openings for this position: 1