With national offices in Louisville, Kentucky, the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) focuses on the national and international mission work of the church. It serves and works with congregations, presbyteries, and synods as the central provider of resources that enable individuals, congregations, and governing bodies to carry forth the mission of Jesus Christ in the world. The work at the Presbyterian Center is carried out by approximately 275 staff members who provide overall support for the mission of the church.
To provide a full range of administrative support direct administrative support and coordination for the CPJ Director’s Office and Leadership team, as well as provide support for a variety of administrative and problem-solving duties within the Compassion, Peace and Justice Ministry. This position is based in Louisville, Kentucky.
Job Skills / Requirements
- Provide operational, administrative, and communication support for the Director’s Office and CPJ Leadership Team, including staff meeting preparation, email, web content, calendar management and distribution. This includes, but is not limited to assisting the Director and Associate Director(s) in managing schedules and appointments, keeping detailed and accurate records of meeting minutes, actions and agreements, processing credit card and vendor payments, making travel arrangements, coordinating internal communications, maintaining correspondence and files (hard copy and/or electronic).
- Supports programmatic needs of the Director’s Office, particularly coordination for meetings, staff gatherings, and annual events/conferences, creation of grant documentation for disbursements, tracking of transferred funds, development of reports and proposals for special initiatives.
- Liaison to the Executive Director‘s Office, with other offices within the CPJ ministry area, other PMA ministry areas, with Administrative Services Group partners (i,e, finance, human resources, legal, etc.), regional governing bodies, local PC(USA) congregations, and related agencies including ecumenical bodies.
- Receive and process a variety of financial payments/expenses, including but not limited to employee reimbursements, invoices, and grants via Financial Edge and prepare journal vouchers. Create purchase orders within Web Purchasing system, as needed. Tracking of credit card statements for entire ministry.
Maintain office supplies and ensure office storage areas are neat and unneeded materials are stored and disposed of properly.
Provides strategic input in ministry area staff meetings and decision tables. Coordinates the work of the other CPJ administrative assistants; convenes administrative team meetings within CPJ, and with other ministry area administrative teams, as needed. Assists, takes notes or contributes current area information for other program areas throughout PC(USA), as needed, for the director’s office in the Director, Associate Director’s or Manager for Finance and Adminstration’s absence. Assists in the execution and follow up of meetings related to the director’s office Participates in the work and common life of CPJ.
Coordinate the engagement of CPJ promotion at various events and conferences.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
High School Diploma required and some college preferred.
Five to seven years of administrative experience; preferably within a Presbyterian environment.
Essential Position Requirements:
- Ability to manage and prioritize workload, take initiative, and anticipate needs. Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint and Word
Knowledge of the PCUSA structure and policies. Ability to learn new technology and systems.
Collaborative: Works together in an inclusive community, invites input, shares ideas and seeks the best ways to accomplish common goals and easily adapts to a dynamic work environment.
Accountable: Takes responsibility for actions and works with integrity, transparency and love.
Responsive: Responds to the voices and needs of the church by being timely, helpful, enthusiastic and mission-centered.
Organization: Strong organizational skills and the ability to take the lead in office organization.
Communication: Outstanding written, phone and verbal skills
Excellent: Works with energy, intelligence, imagination and love.
Cultural Proficiency: Understands and values differences in various cultures within the organization. Manages dynamics of cultural differences within a work group. Adapts to cultural diversity by continuously learning about differences and creates opportunities for staff to learn about one another.
Life / Work Balance: Recognizes the importance of rest and renewal and the need to maintain an appropriate balance between work life and personal life by adapting to changing needs at work, taking time to pursue personal interests, seeking others' help and discernment when needed and responding appropriately when overcommitted or when faced with stressful or dynamic situations.
Office environment. Must possess the ability to perform above job-related duties
Additional Information / Benefits
We believe a balanced life, with time for work, leisure, and spiritual nurture, makes us healthier and more productive colleagues at the Presbyterian Center.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) offers a competitive benefits package including:
Company Paid Benefits
Death and Disability
Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Flexible Spending accounts
403(b) Retirement Savings Plan
Group Term Life Insurance
Critical Illness Insurance
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Individuals living with disability encouraged to apply.
This job reports to the Manager for Finance & Administration
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Relocation is provided and travel is required occasionally
Number of Openings for this position: 1