The national offices of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), based in Louisville Kentucky, serve with mid-councils, congregations, worshipping communities, and partner organizations to carry forth the mission of Jesus Christ. Approximately 400 individuals, diverse in race, age, gender, sexual orientation, faith, skills, and more, come together as colleagues to work for a world where justice reigns, peace prevails, and God’s love extends to all people. This community comprises the staff of several national entities: the Office of the General Assembly, Presbyterian Investment and Loan Corporation, the Presbyterian Mission Agency, the Presbyterian Publishing Corporation, Presbyterian Women, and the Administrative Services Group.
Translates, edits, proofreads and performs related linguistic tasks for essential Church documents from English to Spanish and vice versa, ensuring accuracy of the translation and cultural sensitivity. Works collaboratively with an internal team of staff linguists and with freelance linguists to consistently meet or exceed customer expectations for translated materials. Meets productivity and quality goals and expectations set by the Global Language Resource (GLR) Manager.
Location: We support US virtual working arrangements within the Continental USA.
Job Skills / Requirements
- Translates and performs related tasks on essential documents from English to Spanish and Spanish to English according to established processes, ensuring accuracy, timeliness and cultural sensitivity of the translation.
- Experience with CAT tools (such as SDL Trados, XTM, Wordfast, etc.) proficiently to maximize translation efficiency and consistency. Customize and maintain translation memories, glossaries, and termbases specifically dealing with Alignments, and managing and creating TMX and/or SDLTM files.
- Works closely with senior translator(s) and the GLR manager to ensure customers’ translation requirements are met, providing updates on the progress of translations and advising of potential difficulties.
- Keeps updated with industry trends, new CAT tool features, and emerging technologies. Identify opportunities for process optimization and propose innovative solutions to enhance translation workflows and productivity, as well as resolve technical issues related to CAT tools, troubleshoot error messages, and escalate issues to the appropriate technical support channels when required by the GLR Manager.
- Observes and adheres to editorial style guides and approved general and customer-specific terminology in their assigned translations to ensure accuracy between the original text and the translation.
- Assists senior translator(s) and the GLR Manager in identifying and prioritizing essential documents for translation from English to Spanish, and vice versa, in consultation with the customer area constituents and other appropriate committees, caucuses and/or councils. Final determination of “essential” documents is made by the GLR Manager.
- Attends regularly scheduled GLR staff meetings and other ASG staff meetings as requested and uses other forums, such as seminars, for the purpose of maintaining and strengthening translations knowledge and skills.
Essential Position Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree. Preferably in translation, communication, or related field or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- 5 years of experience with translation projects in CAT Tools
- Native Spanish speaker with near-native fluency in written English.
- Familiarity with computer assisted translation software tools.
- Experience with, and an understanding of, cultural and racial inclusiveness. Values diverse groups, ethnicities, genders, communities, cultural constituencies and points of view.
- Knowledge in subtitling Venmo and YouTube videos
- Proficient in knowledge of structure, polity and language relevant to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A).
- Ability to adapt to varying requirements depending on workflow and shifts in priorities
- Strong collaborative spirit and ability to work well with others
- Strong planning, time management and organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects and follow them through to completion, in a timely manner.
- Requires the ability to travel
- Requires the ability to sit for long periods of time
- Requires the ability to work evening/weekend hours on occasion and to support events/programs.
- Have a deep understanding and commitment to cultural and racial ethnic inclusiveness. Values diverse groups, ethnicities, genders, communities, cultural constituencies and points of view. Able to relate well to people from all walks of life and of varying theological perspectives.
- Ability to speak one or more languages other than English very helpful
Additional Information / Benefits
We believe a balanced life, with time for work, leisure, and spiritual nurture, makes us healthier and more productive colleagues at the Presbyterian Center.
The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) offers a competitive benefits package for eligible employees including Medical, Dental, Pension Plan, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Flexible Spending accounts, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, Vacation Days, Sick Days, and Paid Holidays.
but with the inclusion of gender identity and sexual orientation as well.
preferably with theological training and fluency in languages other than English, are encouraged to apply.
This job reports to the Manager, Global Language Resources
This is a Full-Time position 1st Shift.
Number of Openings for this position: 1